PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What to name Footprints for PCB Mounted Modules
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to name Footprints for PCB Mounted Modules

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to name Footprints for PCB Mounted Modules
    Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 12:27pm

I have a need to add a land pattern for a small PCB module that will SM to the board with concave 'pins'.

I have seen this sort of thing before with things like WiFi and power supply modules, and there are through hole versions of some of these also.

In any case, what are these things 'formally' called, and what do folks call the land patterns?

I assume 'XXX_Manufacturer_Part' but I can't think of a nice unambiguous name for an attached PCB module...
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 12:32pm
The IPC-7351 Footprint Naming Convention has a fundamental format -

Component Family + Pin Pitch + P + Body Length X Body Width X Body Height - Pin Qty

Example: MOD65P1200X1000X120-6

DaveCowl View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 12:54pm
I guess 'MOD' would do. Covers a lot of evils.

A partially related question - what should one do about parts that want to be placed against or over the edge of the board?

This module wants to do that, but the issue also applies to parts like HDMI connectors where the body of the connector hangs over the board edge to fit in a housing slot snugly.

I am thinking with respect to courtyard and assembly outline, since I imagine that most CAD tools would highlight a violation for a part extending beyond the board (or even touching the board edge).

Is it preferred to reduce the outlines so that no violation is caused, or to keep the outline matching the part and tolerate or flag the violation that results?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 1:00pm
All Connector Footprint names are MFR_PartNumber and all connectors should be stored in their own library to isolate them from the electronic packages.

MOD is too generic. I would stick to the ComponentFamily_MFR_PartNumber.

AGONZ67 View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGONZ67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 2:58pm

In Expedition PCB, the cell editor has an "allow cell overhang" checkbox in the package cell properties dialog box. I am not sure about other layout programs.

I keep my outlines around the entire body, and ignore or accept any violations.

On a separate thought, under member profiles what about an area to list CAD tools being used, PADS, Expedition, ORCAD, etc?

DaveCowl View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 3:21pm

Thanks for the note. 

Certainly some connectors have a dimension that is supposed to be the board edge. I guess that could be worked in to the placement outline too (I believe that Expedition at least allows for more than one polygon in the placement).

For the most part I am using Mentor Expedition workflow but hope to widen my scope over time... :)
 Post Reply Post Reply