PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Library Expert Pro (2019.01) KiCad 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Library Expert Pro (2019.01) KiCad 5
    Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:24pm
I got the following message when I did a DRC:
"Footprint has incorrect courtyard (not a closed shape)" and
"footprint "refdes" has malformed courtyard" for the following footprints:
CAPPRD800W80D165H02650
CAPPRD635W50D600H1150
SIP660W80P385L1800H1440Q4
SIP760W70P508L1016H1020Q2
MTGNPH304Z406
RESAD1160W55L680D260
This seems to be a systemic problem.
--Regards, Larry
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:30pm
We're looking into this. 

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 1:51pm
I took the CAPAE Demo part and put it out. The courtyard is definitely made out of lines, but that loads into v5.0.0-rc2-58-gfc71fc647 without issue.

Does the courtyard need to be a polygon for DRC checking? Is that what you would use to manually fix it?
LarryJoy View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 2:37pm
KiCad is at v5.0.2 and that is what I use on my Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS OS. I think lines are okay but they all have to be connected properly to form a closed polygon, similar to the requirement for the edge cuts. This is a question you would have to ask on the KiCad forum at <https://forum.kicad.info>;. I don't know what I would do to fix it other than making sure it is a closed surface (polygon).
--Larry
tgrodnicki View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgrodnicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 11:50pm
I think the following may be relevant:
Footprints in libraries supplied in Kicad do not have center mark.
LarryJoy View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 6:44am
tgrodnicki,
Okay, the reference to the KiCad forum posting was my previous posting in which I was informed that the center mark does not go on the courtyard layer. I informed PCB Libraries about this and as indicated in the KiCad forum PCB Libraries was going to correct this in LE Pro (2019). Accordingly, and as you have stated, footprints for KiCad do not have center mark (at least on the courtyard layer). There must be some other problem. I will have to look at the footprints to figure out what the specific problem is. I may have to get on the KiCad forum again to get an answer. I will let you know.
--Larry
chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:56am
If the origin marker is the issue, simply filter the origin marker via preferences.

Go Drafting -> Courtyard and turn off 'Include Origin Crosshair' and 'Include Origin Target'.
LarryJoy View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:04am
tgrodnicki,
It is the same problem as previous, the center mark is on the courtyard layer, which for KiCad it cannot be. PCB Libraries indicated that this was going to be fixed when LE Pro (2019) was released. Apparently it has not been taken care of. Will PCB Libraries be revising the LE Pro (2019) program to address this situation?
--Larry
LarryJoy View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:23am
I can not turn off the "Include Courtyard" and "Include Origin Crosshair" functions as they are grayed out and I am unable to uncheck them?
--Larry
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:08am
If you are using the Free Library Expert Pro, you can easily remove the Center Origin Marking in the
Calculator Panel > Drafting tab > Courtyard tab > uncheck  Include Origin Crosshair & Include Origin Target. 

All the Global Preferences and in the Calculator Panel and they are "Local Preferences". 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>