PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cadence OrCAD PCB 17.2 CAD Output Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamesHeadOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cadence OrCAD PCB 17.2 CAD Output Issue
    Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:29am
I am having issues trying to get the Cadence Orcad PCB 17.2 output to work.

I have checked the setup for Cadence including the Setup > User Preferences and Paths, Library, psmpath and padpath and these point to the current working directory, to the folders which are used as a library for footprints and padstacks, and to the output folder for PCB Libraries.

Running the batch file doesn't work, the padstack_editor and allegro commands are flagged as an unrecognised command.

'padstack_editor'
'allegro'

is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I've copied padstack_editor.jrl into the PCB Libraries folder but without succecess.

Please advise.

JamesHeadOI View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamesHeadOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:40am
I've already noted the "known cadence issue" subject under "bugs" on this forum.
My environment variables appear to be set up okay:
CDSROOT is C:\Cadence\SPB_16.6
PATH is
%CDSROOT%\tools\libutil\bin;%CDSROOT%\tools\pcb\bin;%CDSROOT%\tools\bin;%CDSROOT%\openaccess\bin\win32\opt;%CDSROOT%\tools\fet\bin;%CDSROOT%\tools\specctra\bin;%CDSROOT%\tools\pspice;%CDSROOT%\tools\pspice\library;%CDSROOT%\tools\capture;
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:24am
Did you read this?
https://www.pcblibraries.com/forum/known-cadence-17-2-issue-read-here_topic2081.html

And this?
http://www.pcblibraries.com/products/fpx/userguide/default.asp?ch=205

If you have any CAD tool interface issues, please contact Chris Arnold.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamesHeadOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:27am
Yes, I had read both the user guide and the known issue post prior to posting.
I had already gone through and checked the environment variables were all set up correctly.
I'll dig out Chris's e-mail.
chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 11:03am
Originally posted by JamesHeadOI JamesHeadOI wrote:

I've already noted the "known cadence issue" subject under "bugs" on this forum.
My environment variables appear to be set up okay:
CDSROOT is C:\Cadence\SPB_16.6
PATH is
%CDSROOT%\tools\libutil\bin;%CDSROOT%\tools\pcb\bin;%CDSROOT%\tools\bin;%CDSROOT%\openaccess\bin\win32\opt;%CDSROOT%\tools\fet\bin;%CDSROOT%\tools\specctra\bin;%CDSROOT%\tools\pspice;%CDSROOT%\tools\pspice\library;%CDSROOT%\tools\capture;

If using 17.2, the CDSROOT must be set to the 17.2 root directory in order for the paths to resolve to the 17.2 binaries. The CDSROOT variable is a mechanic used by Cadence Switch Release to easily swap to a different version of OrCAD. It does this by changing the base directory for the product, which always has to match whichever version of allegro you're trying to access.
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamesHeadOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 11:18pm
There's both 16.6 and 17.2 on the system. I understand 16.6 has been left on because it's the only method to import old Orcad Layout designs and libraries.

I've checked that both CDSROOT and PATH both now point to the 17.2 installation, and only that installation. The exe files required are in the tools/bin folder but still the error message appears.
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamesHeadOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 11:43pm
I've managed to get the batch file running now. It seemed to be the case on this Windows 10 system that the PATH environment variable was entered for the local admin account and not the user account.

I still don't get a .dra file created though. The padstack is created but no .dra file but no error messages are shown.
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesHeadOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 3:52am
Parrallel Systems, the reseller, advised removing the top of the script for the footprint, i.e. this section:

# Allegro Script
# File: C:\_JH\PCBLibraries\Orcad\HARTING_09185507324\harting_09185507324.scr
version 17.2

setwindow pcb
new
newdrawfillin "harting_09185507324.dra" "Package Symbol"

So the first line is "color". This seems to work.
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesHeadOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:00am
It also involves running the script from inside the PCB Editor tool.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 6:53am
Are you good to go now?

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>