PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saving Solder Mask Settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saving Solder Mask Settings
    Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 8:29am
PCB Libraries Expert Pro Version 2015.20 OrCAD PCB, Librarian and Librarian (batch create) options

I always add additional solder mask area under Terminal Solder Mask X (+/-) and Solder Mask Y (+/-). This is to allow for errors in the solder mask alignment, and is required by most PC board houses. Some just automatically add it, others charge more for a die cut mask if you do not provide it. It is called solder mask swell.

The additional mask area does get included in the part that is generated, BUT if I add the part to an FPX library it instantly disappears. That is, add the swell to the settings under Terminal, hit OK, swell appears in the screen and in the part generated. BUT if I click on Add Comp in the library, go to another part by clicking in the library, then go back to the original part the swell is gone. The box in Terminal-Settings-Solder Mask is back to 0.00.

I think this setting should be saved, all my parts have it and so do the parts in many other standard libraries. Now I can't trust the library, have to create every part from scratch or use the generated part without being sure it fits well. Frankly I don't know why it is not automatically applied like so many other details, that would simplify part generation for me.

OrCAD PCB does not automatically create the swell like Altium does, it has to be in the symbol. And sometimes you have to reduce the swell to make lines between closely spaced pins, so it has to be specified in the symbol.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 8:41am
Many people swell the Solder Mask in the CAD library, but IPC recommends that you keep the Solder Mask 1:1 scale of the pad size and let the Fabrication shop swell the Solder Mask per your Fabrication Notes.

The Paste and Solder Mask settings are located in "Preferences > Terminals > Lead Form > Settings".

The FPX file contains the Component Dimensions. The FPX file does not contain the Preference Rules.

We're always available for unlimited and free webcast training to every customer.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
PetrolDave View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 3:41am
Originally posted by Bruce P Bruce P wrote:

I always add additional solder mask area under Terminal Solder Mask X (+/-) and Solder Mask Y (+/-). It is called solder mask swell.

Our PCB manufacturer also asks us to add solder mask swell - they ask us to make the solder mask 4 thou (0.11mm) larger than the pad.

On the footprints we have generated from scratch we can edit the pas stacks to create this swell, but on footprints where we have used one of the Library Expert Pro templates the option to increase any of the parameters of the pads are greyed out so we cannot add the swell.

How can we edit the solder mask sizes where it is greyed out? We really don't want to have to create the footprints from scratch every time.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:22am
In Preferences, when using the "IPC Internal Defaults", all values are grayed out.

If you want to edit anything, use Save As > Your FileName.Dat and create your personal Preference file.

Then you can edit anything.

In the "Help > Topics > Getting Started > Create a New Preference file" you will watch a short video that explains this.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
PetrolDave View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 8:27am
Thanks, that solved the problem. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply