PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allow Padstack Edits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allow Padstack Edits
    Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 6:06am
It is all well and good that you provide the ability to make a completely custom footprint/decal. However in my experiences It is much better served to let me build a base footprint/decal for a specific part family, but then allow me to do some basic things to this base footprint/decal like move, resize, and add individual pins as needed.

My case in point. I am currently creating a 3 pin SOTFL (On Semi DTC114EM3). So far every 3 Pin SOTFL I have created to date has a different size for pin 3 than for pins 1 & 2. So what I have to do each time is create the part with all 3 pins the same size, export it to my native tool and change pin 3 to the correct size.

This works, but in say 2 years I then need to recreate this part for whatever reason. My saved library of this part still has all 3 pins the same size, I then better hope that I remember to once again resize pin 3.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 6:41am
The PCB Library Expert has 3 options -
  1. Standard Packages - save the Component Dimensions and use your personal Preference Rules to auto-generate a "Rules Based" footprint
  2. Standard Packages - save the Component Dimensions and the Mfr. Recommended pattern dimensions in the "Footprint Tab" to auto-generate a "Mfr. Recommended" footprint. This overrides (ignores) all User Preferences
  3. Non-standard Packages - use the "Footprint Designer" (FP Designer) to auto-generate all the various pad stacks necessary for a custom footprint and place the pad stacks at the coordinates that you want or insert a text file with the pin names and X/Y coordinates for each pad stack.

In the case of the SOTFL you listed, the FP Designer would be perfect to generate the exact footprint and save to FPX file. You can still change all of your drafting preferences for silkscreen, assembly, courtyard and 3D model line widths and text heights in the future and regenerate a new library, but the pad stack sizes and locations will never change.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:20am
You can now convert Calculator parts to FP Designer to have 100% access to the Pad Stack Editor and Manager.

Freely edit every layer of the pad stack and even rename the pad stack.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
 Post Reply Post Reply