PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unable To Save Options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable To Save Options
    Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 12:19am
Select Setup>Default Preferences and untick "Include height in footprint name"
Click X> "Preferences have changed ....." click YES, message "Unable to save" WHY?
Jeff.M View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeff.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:35am
You're getting this message because there's no file name to save as.
I'll modify this to open the File Save dialog box instead of throwing up this ambiguous message.
pnichols View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:37am
Thanks Jeff, when will the update be available?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:38am
It will be available later today in the V2012.19 release.

We're hot on it for you!

pnichols View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:56am
Well, I could not ask for a quicker response than that!

Thanks again.
Mattylad View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattylad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:27pm
How is this supposed to work?

If we make a change to the default preferences- a change that we want set as a permanent default I.E. unticking "include centroid marker" then we get prompted to save this into a new file.

When is this new file used?
I started FPE again and it used the default preferences again?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:31pm
You have to load your "personal Default Preferences" in User Preferences menu at the top of the menu.

i.e.: replace "DefaultPreferences.dat" with your "PresonalDefaultPreferences.dat" in Setup.

Setup > User Preferences > DefaultPreferences > Search > Find > Select

Mattylad View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattylad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:39pm
Ah - but that's changing the user preferences - not the default preferences.

What if we never ever - ever want a centroid marker - irrespective of what the user preferences are?

Why can we not save the defaults?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 3:59pm
The "User Preferences" is the only place to change all the preferences.

The Default Preferences simply creates a .dat file and you need to load it in "User Preferences" in the Default Preferences File (dat) section.

If you change any User Preference Rules, Drafting, Component Families, Terminals, then you need to set your environment to "User".

If you add a new Default Preferences .dat file you can use the Environment "Nominal".

Or you can have a combination of both User Default Preferences and User Preferences but the Envornment needs to be "User". i.e.: if you change any data in any "User" field you need to select "User" environment.

Did I miss something? When you are creating a DefaultPreferences .dat file, you MUST select "Apply Changes" button in every menu that you change something. Otherwise your changes are rejected.

Mattylad View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattylad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 1:10pm
What about the 3 IPC environment settings?
If we set the environment to user, we cannot use the l/m/n settings can we?

And I am assuming that there is a difference in them, what is the difference?

How would a setting like the one I have mentioned be made globally across ALL environment settings if we cannot change the default ones?

I cannot save a DefaultPreferences .dat file as it will not let me.
Does a user saved one need to be renamed to DefaultPreferences .dat to be used as that?

Companies often want to be able to set programs so that the users all use certain settings by default.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>