PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Footprint Name Mfr. Extensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Footprint Name Mfr. Extensions
    Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 12:06pm
Very interesting. Is there a way to export the footprints with manufacturer extension as shown in this presentation? ("SOP50P710X120-14N-TI")

How do you suggest dealing with components that have different manufacturer equivalents? (Like generic capacitors/resistors)
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 12:15pm
You can edit the Footprint Name in the CAD Translator menu.

We suggested to IPC that the component mfr. abbreviation be added to the end of the Footprint Name and they initially agreed that it would be a good idea, but it has not been voted on by the IPC Land Pattern subcommittee.

So right now it's User Choice.

Instead, what I'm doing while waiting for the final verdict, I'm creating a FPX file for each component manufacturer. This way I avoid all package tolerance issues.

You will notice in the next release Maxim, National Semiconductor, Philips, Texas Instruments, Analog Devices and Freescale FPX files. The original content was provided by beta testers and volunteers and PCB Libraries, Inc. is verifing that all the dimensions and case codes are correct. So there will be major updates to these files every release. So please do not ever edit them because we're replacing them every release. If you want to use the data in these CM FPX files, Copy/Paste the line items into your personal FPX file.

Joris View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 12:25pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I couldn't find anything in the setup dialog.

What I was asking is if there is a way to automatically append this extension on the exported footprint names, or do I manually have to do this for every footprint?

Very excited to see all those libraries coming!
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 12:29pm
You edit the Footprint Name in the CAD translator menu -

Joris View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 12:31pm
I understand, but what if I export a whole fpx library at once?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 12:35pm
You have to manually edit every Footprint Name in the FPX file. Copy/Paste -TI.

We can't do anything until the IPC land pattern votes on this topic.

Then we'll be updating all of our FPX files (or maybe not if it's rejected).

Joris View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 8:59am
It seems like this was removed from the PCB design presentation. Any updated on this topic? Is there a list with the manufacturer codes somewhere already?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:29am
Adding a Manufacturer Code in the Footprint Name was rejected by the IPC Land Pattern Committee as a viable solution because in some cases the same component manufacturer produces the same package with different Thermal Pad sizes or different tolerances.

However, if you still want the Mfr. Abbreviation document, contact me and I'll forward it to you.

The new naming convention recommendation is to add the thermal pad size at the end of the Footprint name.

Examples:
SOP65P600X120-14N_T300 = Thermal Pad is 3.00 mm Square
SOP65P600X120-14N_T300X500 = Thermal Pad is 3.00 mm X 5.00 mm Rectangle

Post Reply Post Reply