PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Too many SOT 23s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too many SOT 23s
    Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 7:17pm

I am sure that this has been answered before but I can't seem to find it.

I have run up against two (only 2?) different SOT23-6 footprints (currently Maxim vs TI) with the same height and such so that the names of the library entries are the same.

FPX seems to keep both of them there... but what is going to happen if I do a mass export of land patterns?

It looks like I can manually edit the Footprint Name, so perhaps that is the place to start?

What is the accepted norm for naming (I recall A, B, etc. has fallen out of favour...).

Cheers!
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 7:22pm
The object is to use the FPE FPX as a resource to Copy/Paste into you personal FPX. Your Company FPX should only contain parts your company uses.

DaveCowl View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 9:39am
I understand that - both of these parts are on the same board.

Essentially the same part, just with quite different tolerances and pin dimensions for 'b' and 'L'.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 10:08am
The variances in "b" and "L" will generate a different pad size and spacing. But the component Maximum Height value are different and that differentiates the footprint name.

DaveCowl View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 11:32am
Actually the maximum height are identical. Hence the problem with naming...

I guess I could change one to be 0.01 mm different, which would result in a different name...
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 11:51am
IPC-7351C will recommend the following -

n  The original IPC-7351 footprint naming convention does not include component tolerances, thermal pad sizes, BGA Ball sizes or various pin assignments into account. Therefore, the same component with different tolerances can produce a different land size and spacing with the same footprint name.

n  A footprint name of SOP50P710X120-14N can have version A, B, C, D which do not indicate the variances.

n  As you add parts to your library and you encounter a duplicate footprint name due to Thermal Pad size, Terminal Length Tolerance or Ball Size

1.    Thermal Tab Size = SOP50P710X120-14NT300

·         T300 = Thermal Pad 3.00 mm

2.    Lead Length Tolerance = SOP50P710X120-14NL50

·         L50 = Lead Length = 0.50 mm

3.    Ball Size = BGA121C50P11X11_600X600X100NB23

·         B23 = Ball Diameter 0.23 mm

n  For component mfr. recommended footprint drop the environment level character after the pin qty. - SOP50P710X120-14

DaveCowl View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 12:20pm
Ok great thanks.

The 'L50' type of option to define lead length should be adequate to differentiate the two.

Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply