PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mfr Templates - Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Clemmons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mfr Templates - Maintenance
    Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 8:10am
How will new Mfr Templates be Maintained and Created.

For Example:

While creating parts for the sample library.  I noticed that some Manufacturers were not represented, i.e. "International Rectifier".

I could have elected to create my own template, however I would have been on my own little island, because this New Mfr template would exist only on my PC.

And then someone else might also notice they need an "International Rectifier" template, however they may decide to use "IR" or some other syntax for "International Rectifier".

How will we standardize creating new Mfr templates ?

We need a process that allows the users to quickly request and receive a new mfr template.

Currently the templates are only updated with V2012.x releases.  Are we going to use update releases to add requested mfr templates?  Updates with a Template patch seems like the logical choice.

Randy

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 8:47am
The templates are reserved for Stage II of the "Parts On Demand" (POD) project that is scheduled to start in late August / September timeframe.

The Templates are used for the creation of a single component manufacturer's Part Number that contains Footprint Name, Physical Description, Case Code, Mfr Name, Mfr Part Number, Mfr Logic Description and Web-Link to Datasheet. After the information is inserted into the Template the "Save" icon automatically names the new FPX file MfrName_MfrPartNumber and the user would upload it to our future cloud server and it would be loaded in our web-based PCB library vending machine and made available to customers via an advanced search engine.

New Mfr Templates are constantly added to new software releases. There will be multiple ways (forum post, email support@pcblibraries.com, telephone, etc.) that anyone can use to report component mfr's that are not currently in our system.

All component Mfr's are currently inserted in alphabetical order in our master Excel Spreadsheet. Download here - Component_Manufacturers_For_FPX_Templates.zip

BTW: you can see that "International Rectifier (IRF)" www.irf.com is already in the existing Templates that come with the installation.

But in the future, when the POD website goes on-line, uploaders and downloaders will be able to scan through the list of existing component manufacturer's and they will submit new component mfr's on-line and the data will be verified and quality controlled prior to the creation of a new Mfr Template that will be released in the next version update of the PCB Footprint Expert.

New Templates will also be made available on-line for free download if the PCB Exert is in-between software releases.

Bottom line is that in the near future it will be very easy to add new component manufacturer's templates to the PCB Expert software tool. In the meantime, just tell us if we missed a mfr and we'll add their template to the next PCB Expert release.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 1:57pm

If anyone creates a new "Template" for a component manufacturer that we do not support, please send it to me and I will make sure it gets added to the installer on the next release.

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply