PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ver 2021 Install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5not4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ver 2021 Install
    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 5:04am
My apologies if this has been asked . . .

Is the new footprint expert v2021 a new install or does it install 'over' previous versions?

Will previously installed LE still be available to use while learning the new version?
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 5:37am
Version 2021 will install in a 2021 folder, default:
C:\Program Files (x86)\PCB Libraries\Footprint Expert 2021

You can change this and specify something else when you install.

If you have a previous 2020 version the files, preferences, libraries, etc are in a different folder by default.
Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
5not4 View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5not4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:50am
Thanks, Nick.

Are license files still backward compatible?
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:14am
License update files won't need to get applied multiple times, so I don't understand the question. You can still use older versions of the program with the current license, if that's what you're asking. The limitation would be on the cloud/leased license, it can only go back to certain of the previous builds as it's a fairly new license type.

5not4 View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5not4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 5:32am
Yes, to use older versions. I haven't installed 2021 yet but I figure it will need an updated license to work (maybe not?).
I want to be sure I have a working program in the case I can't get up to speed with 2021 and need something quick. As long as I can use a previous version I'll be good.
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:23am
Your license will continue to work with all Footprint Expert releases until the maintenance due date. No need to update. Install 2021, it installs in a separate directory.

You might want to hold off on for a bit longer, we're posting a new 2021.03 build this morning with some fixes. When you see the 2021.03 announcement in the Version History forum, you're all good.
5not4 View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5not4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 11:19am
Thanks again, Nick.
 Post Reply Post Reply