PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Footprint Expert Lite and OrCAD V16.3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmartins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Footprint Expert Lite and OrCAD V16.3
    Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 10:42am
Hi.

For some quite strange demo board I need to setup a footprint like this:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/131262186/FootPrint-Def

The idea is to setup a footprint between Type_1 and Type_2 or both (no big fuzz).

This demo board will use E12 type resistors and other passive components most of them sharing the same footprint. These components will be soldered (manually, of course) as if they would be SMDs (see the image in PDF).

I tried PCB Footprint Expert Lite and selected SurfaceMount->SmallOutlineDiode and entered parameters in Component->Dimensions, OK, I have the green light, BuildCurrentFootprint to fp1 package in folder c:\[my projects root]\_lib\pcb\fp1 ... Create as Allegro V16.3, Close, the result is in fp1a.zip file.

Then I run allegroload.bat, it warns about loss of precision due to unit conversion (should make no difference, I think) select Allegro PCB Design GXL (who knows why, the system is nor mine and I don't have anyone to ask for I just use it when there is no one around), some animation comes on screen, and now I get what is in fp1b.zip.

Ok. I suppose that I should enter that footprint is Capture resistors. I double click one of them, in "PCB Footprint" I enter the footprint path with footprint name without extension, close this Properties window, go back to diagram, right select the resistor->ShowFootprint and I get "... was not found in search path".

I think I have already shown too many mistakes, and I need some help.

Thank
Martins   uploads/3147/fp1b.zip

chrisa_pcb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisa_pcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 12:47pm

If you get the unit conversion box, simply make sure you click 'Auto-confirm loss of accuracy' on the translator window. When the pad designer is run, its default units are mils.  When it switches to millimeters its a standard box. I've provided that checkbox for those who need to get rid of it. The answer should always be 'yes'. The reason I use a checkbox is that we've found that some versions of allegro/orcad pcb pop the box when the units are changed, others don't. If yours doesn't, simply leave it off. If it does, you can click the box and it'll auto-confirm it and keep rolling.

You need to make sure that you copy the part you create is located in a directory that is in your PATH enviornment variable. My understanding is that OrCAD PCB and Allegro allready have this setup. I'm not too familiar with what that directory is.. so check your documentation. With v2013, there is going to be a way to save a single part to a specific directory, so you can generate parts for a user library directory, and then you just put that user library directory in your path.
 Post Reply Post Reply