PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Library for Cadence Allegro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgdavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Library for Cadence Allegro
    Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 3:30am
New Library for Cadence Allegro

Hi all, We have just bought a network version of this software, it works very well, while we can use the software easily enuff to create individual footprints and also use the batch mode for multiple footprints when the need arrives, however, I am looking to take this to the next level and hopefully use PCB Footprint Expert at the centre of my library Management Flow.

What I am interested in is "brainstorming" with people who either are in this same situation or have already gone this road and achieved a satisfactory result.
Obviously I need to build up my library first, so that it contains everything required by my company,

Some ideas I have floating around at the moment in my head are, automating the packaging process, so for new projects the new designs would only batch create what it needed into a new local project library.

I would also like to integrate PCB Footprint Libraries into an overall ECAD Flow.
am interested to know what other people and companies currently do and how they think using PCB Footprint Expert could change/improve their library flow.

Any ideas welcome its all food for thought for me.

Rgs
Stephen Grant-Davies
Naveed Khan View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Naveed Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 5:23am
Hi Stephen Grant-Davies,

If you are creating individual footprint, make master database of validated footprint. Next time you can chose that footprint just by searching with part number.
In our company we have a database library of large number of footprints, if we get new parts will upload it and parts will get closed atomatically if matches, if not will scrubb those manually or we start creating those.

This way you can build library..

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:11am
You can use the PCB Footprint Expert "Librarian" feature to create your master library database that contains every aspect of every part in your library. The Librarian has full featured editing just like Excel Spreadsheet (as a matter of fact, you can open you FPX files in M/S Excel).

The FPX database can be tailored to contain all the search engine attributes and datasheet links. Why spend lots of $$$ on Agile, Oracle, DxDataBook, CIS or any other Part Library Management (PLM) tools.

You can give everyone one in your inner circle access to your FPX file and they can visually see all of your component dimensions, attributes, rules and footprint data for free using the FPE Lite program that has 2 separate programs. One is a IPC Calculator with 18 CAD tool interfaces and one is a FPX Database Viewer.

You can create multiple FPX files, one for each PCB design project and leave it separate until everything in confirmed by assembly. Then you can import each PCB design FPX file into your master library database.

When the "Parts on Demand" (POD) website opens soon, you will be able to upload and download FPX files and the days on entering component dimensions into the Calculator will be over.

sgdavies View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgdavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:21am
Hi Tom, 
Im using Cadence, and what I would like to eventually achieve, is to create our company FPX database, and when I have a new design, to generate the netlist, and somehow interact with the FPX database and batch create only the parts I need for that project, these footprints would then ideally be created in my new design Project folder.

I am not a software expert, so I am not sure exactly how difficult interacting scripts with the FPX database might be?

Any thoughts ideas, as usual are most welcome Smile
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:27am
You need to take this off-line and discuss all of your issues with our software programming team.

Perhaps your ideas can be implemented into the program to automate several functions.

Start off by contacting support@pcblibraries.com and they will direct you to start a dialog with the FPX programmers. The FPE program features are primarily derived from the user base requests.

Just be specific on what features you need and they will communicate the reality or difficulty of your request.

sgdavies View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgdavies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:30am
ok Cheers Tom, I shall send and email to support Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply