PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Determine Hole Size for Plastic Peg Alignment Pins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Determine Hole Size for Plastic Peg Alignment Pins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maarten Verhage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Determine Hole Size for Plastic Peg Alignment Pins
    Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:01am
Dear FPX people,

Are you willing to explain to me the IPC recommended way to determine the correct NPTH hole size for plastic peg alignment pins?

I will be using the Molex 87782-3003. This is an MiniDIMM socket with two plastic alignment pins, a round one with a diameter of 1.4 mm and an rectangle measuring 0.8x1.3 mm. It is especially important to me because I intend to place two of these sockets inline and we will be developing plugin cards that need to connect to both sockets.

Do you know if a large difference of the glass transition temperature or Tg value between the MiniDIMM socket and the PCB matter for reliable reflow soldering? A person of an assembly facility told me about Tg values. What is your opinion on that?

Thank you very much for your attention and time!

Best regards,
Maarten Verhage
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 2:51pm
The Tg (Glass Transition Temperature) relates to the PCB expansion in the "Y" axis or board thickness. Or the temperature at which material or areas of material changes from being in a hard condition to being a viscous or rubbery condition.

The CTE (Coefficient Thermal Expansion) relates to the PCB expansion in the "X" axis or board length and width. Or the linear dimensional change of material per unit change in temperature.

You can avoid both conditions by using high temperature material.

Plastic alignment pins on connectors are used to register the package to help the SMT component leads line up with the pads.

Most connector manufacturer's provide the recommended hole size for the alignment pegs. I mean I've never built a connector library part where the mfr. did not provide the recommended hole size.

But if you had to calculate a hole, it would be non-plated with a +/- 2 mil (0.05 mm) tolerance and 2 mil larger than the maximum peg diameter.

We just added a new padstack calculator to the PCB Footprint Expert. In the main toolbar select the "Utilities > " TH Padstack Calculator" dropdown.

Post Reply Post Reply