PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Proper Handling of Holes for Through Hole Headers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proper Handling of Holes for Through Hole Headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Handling of Holes for Through Hole Headers
    Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 12:03pm

I just generated a 4x2 shrouded header and I have questions regarding the output.

1) The hole size is shown as 1.08mm (based on .62mm square pin) - should I round to 1.1 or 1.05 in preference to specifying a 'non-standard' hole size?

2) If I do run with 1.1mm hole, I am guessing that I should also update all of the pad sizes to match the hole size?

3) Is there a way to have the hole size automatically select the closest standard hole size?

4) I note that none of the hole parameters (Thermal pad, hole size, antipad) appear in the ASCII HKP padstack output for this part.

Thanks!
DaveCowl View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 12:21pm

5) What tolerance should we set on holes? 0.05mm? Or does it scale with hole size?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 2:09pm
Since, the PCB Footprint is 100% mathematical calculations there is no way to set a "Hole Size" round-off. Rather we could, but people could get into trouble. The FPE does have a "Pad Size" rounding feature in the "User Preferences > Terminals > Through-hole > Settings > Pad Size Round-off".
You can also make adjustments in the "User Preferences > Terminals > Through-hole > Environment > Min Annular Ring or Min. Fab. Tol.

In the PCB Footprint Editor you insert the Maximum lead size and it auot-calculates the hole size.

The fabrication drawing drill chart should have a +/-0.003" (+/-0.075 mm) hole tolerance for plated holes and +/-0.002" (+/-0.05 mm) toleramce for Non-plated holes and +/-0.005" (0.12 mm) for slotted holes.

Post Reply Post Reply