PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Minimum Gang Solder Mask Web

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yvoren1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minimum Gang Solder Mask Web
    Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 1:17pm

Hi, I’d like to understand how work Minimum Gang Solder Mask Web in SMD Pad Stack Rules

I have these specifications in Component Data

If I use 0.10 mm for the Minimum Gang Solder web mask, I get a 0.83 x 0.40 mm mask, so the web mask = 0.10 mm that is correct

If I use 0.10 mm for the Minimum Gang Solder web mask, I get a 0.83 x 0.50 mm mask, hence the web mask. I don't understand why the mask becomes 0.40 mm to 0.50 mm.

I expected the mask to stay at 0.40 mm for a 0.10 mm web

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 4:35pm
Are you wondering why the solder mask excess isn’t limited to prevent a sliver instead of increased to fill the sliver?

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
yvoren1 View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yvoren1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 6:43am
Yes, that’s what I would like to know!
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 9:57am
First, setting the solder mask web to 0.10 is overkill. 

Fabrication shops can easily produce a 0.07 solder mask sliver. 

Where the Fabrication industry needs is a 0.05 mm solder mask swell and a 0.05 solder mask web. 

This will ensure a solder mask sliver between every SMD pad stack and eliminate Gang Masking of entire rows of pads. 

Ask your fabrication shop how accurate is their solder mask application process. 

yvoren1 View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yvoren1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 10:04am
OK ,
Some of my fab shop don't want to go under 0.1mm , but now i know how far i can go
Thank you Tom!
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 10:12am
There is something you need to know. 

If your fabrication shop requires a 0.10 mm solder mask sliver, if you don't Gang Mask the row of pads in your PCB library, your fabrication shop will run a check on your Gerber data to find every pad that has a sliver less than 0.10 mm and they will gang mask the row of pads without even asking you. 

So either you provide the correct data or they will correct your data. 

bab27 View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bab27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 5:58am
I'm looking for an IPC for these kinds of specification.

IPC-7352 Page 34, there is an example with 0.50 mm Pitch SOP with 0.05 mm Solder Mask from copper and 0.075 mm from Solder Mask to Legend (silkscreen).

Do you know if there is more information according to the fabrication level, A, B or C about that?

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2024 at 8:15am
I provided IPC-7352 with the silkscreen and solder mask illustration on page 34. 

IPC (as a standards organization) does not have any guidelines for silkscreen because they don't believe in silkscreen. They're recommendation is "No Silkscreen", but I think that's in reference to mass production boards. 

As PCB designers we all create prototype boards that require silkscreen for small batches. We recommend a silkscreen line width between 0.12 mm minimum, 0.15 mm nominal and 0.20 mm maximum. 

IPC has no rules or guidelines on solder mask. The current range for solder mask annular ring in the electronics industry (from component manufacturers recommendations) is between 0.05 mm minimum, 0.07 mm nominal and 0.10 mm maximum. 

The gap between the silkscreen and solder mask would be the tolerance of the application of both, which is 0.07 total. You don't want any silkscreen encroaching in the solder mask removal area. If there is silkscreen in the solder mask removal area, the fabrication shop will automatically trim it off for you. 

bab27 View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bab27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2024 at 7:40am
Thank you very much for your reply.
 Post Reply Post Reply