PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forced Body Color Change Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Hintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forced Body Color Change Issue
    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 11:31am
Not sure if this is a bug or intended design, but if it's the latter, it's a really annoying "feature"...

Creating a 2-pin chip component (resistor), and I set the body to "white" (rather than the default beige).  If the color is the last thing I touch, clicking OK creates the component as expected... if I go in change a spec, say component height, clicking OK changes the body color back to the default Beige before creating the component (you can actually see it change the color if you're on the 3D Color tab when you click OK).  Really annoying when I'm creating multiple components that have a single parameter change... I have to go back and (re-)modify the color each time.

I am now wondering if any of the other parameters I entered were modified but not readily apparent on first glance.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 11:50am
There is a simple rule. You Must insert all Package Dimensions and Tolerances prior to changing any "Local" Preferences. The 3D model color assignment is a Preference. 

If you change a "Local" Preference and then go back and change a component dimension, the Calculator automatically responds like you're creating a new Footprint with new package dimensions and resets all "Local" Preferences back to Default. 

This is a feature in Library Expert.

Note: if you are using Library Expert Enterprise, you can change the color assignment in Preferences and then you can change the package dimensions all you want and the color will always match your Preference setting. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Daniel Hintz View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Hintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 11:56am
I'm curious why this path was selected, Tom... is there some advantage I'm not seeing?  

Even with the simple scenario of someone creating a single component, then realizing they put in an incorrect dimension, all of the "local" preference changes they just made are thrown away.  

Seems like an unnecessary frustration factor for no obvious gain (and you already have "reset to default" buttons).

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 12:04pm
That was the way the original Library Expert code was written. 

The new V2021 Footprint Expert does not work this way. It works just like you want it to. 

If you are using the Enterprise version, you can download and install V2021 Beta and check it out. 

It will install into a new folder so you can run V2020 and V2021 side by side. 

If you are using any other version of Footprint Expert like Pro or POD, you must wait a couple days for the release later this week. The issue that you're complaining about was fixed. 

Daniel Hintz View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Hintz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 12:10pm
Enterprise is on the purchase list for both my company and the customer(s) I regularly support (since I'm typically on-site), but I'm using Pro to get a feel for how it reacts in common situations.

VERY glad to hear this behavior is considered "old tech".  Thank you.
pzt648485640 View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzt648485640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 1:45pm
Can the 2021 version give a specific release date?

This link page does not exist www.pcblibraries.com/downloads
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 1:55pm
We're finalizing the installers.
I expect 2021 to be out by tomorrow if there are no major issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply