PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hole Size Roundoff?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnus.lictor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hole Size Roundoff?
    Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 4:40am
As a newbie to this tool, I am trying to find my way through the preference settings. But I can not find a way to set a hole size round off.

So i end up with hole sizes like 0.82, 0.93 and so on.  I would like the hole size to round off at 0.05 mm. 

In that case I will end up with hole sizes like 0.80, 0.95 and so on.

Is there a setting in the preferences that will do that?

Regards,
Charles
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 11:57am
There is a video in Help > Topics > Contents > Preference Settings > Through-hole Preferences

However, in "Preferences > Terminals > Through-hole" I only see a pad size round-off and not a hole size round-off.

But in the Calculator, you can select the "Footprint" Tab and select "Use Manufacturer's recommended dimensions" and if you check that box you can override the calculated hole size and enter any value that you want. This way, you round up or down any way you want. You also control the pad size so if you round up the Hole Size, make the pad size larger.

If you download a FP Designer part from POD and don't like the hole size, you can edit the pad stack to change the pad size on any layer (Top, Inner, Bottom, Solder Mask Top & Bottom) and the hole size and FP Designer will auto-update all pad stacks.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
IanOnBass View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IanOnBass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 12:17pm
Changing the pad size round-off affects the hole size rounding too. Changing this to 0.05 mm will give the results that Charles is looking for.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 12:23pm
Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks Ian!

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
magnus.lictor View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnus.lictor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 10:24pm
Thanks Ian,

A nice feature that does exactly what i am looking for.

Clap Charles
 Post Reply Post Reply