PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Convert Calculator Parts to FP Designer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Convert Calculator Parts to FP Designer
    Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 7:01am
Many of my current footprints I create seem to be about 80 to 95% complete using one of the standard Through Hole or Surface Mount types, but have additions/slight changes from the standard.

My current case in point is a Freescale accelerometer (MMA6853BKWR2). This devise follows the Surface Mount type "QFN with Tab", but also for better devise to PCB adhesion also contains 4 extra corner pads. This then leaves me with 2 options using Library Expert.

1. Use the standard Surface Mount type "QFN with Tab". Then export the footprint to my EDA tool (in this case Altium Designer) add the 4 pins manually. Then manually update the print from Lib Expert to include the 4 extra corner pads.
  2. Create the entire thing using FP Designer. Which takes way to much of my time to complete and I am still left with a print which is nowhere complete enough to pass as a QFN with Tab. So I still have to do some heavy manipulation to the print to make up for the FP Designer prints short comings.

So my idea would be to allow us to use the Through Hole/Surface Mount types to do the "heavy lifting". Then be able to convert/move/push/pull (which ever way works best) the "type into FP Designer to finish up the 5 to 20%. Then be able to print this out and still keep the original type formatting rather than the very basic FP Designer print output.

Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:05pm
This part is now on POD, available for free to Library Expert Pro customers with the latest release. Chris, for future reference, please submit the part request via pod at www.PCBLibraries.com/POD

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:42am
You can now Convert Calculator parts to FP Designer in V2016.09 pre-release.

Exception, these Calculator families cannot be converted to FP Designer do to the unique Legend outline or component dimensional complexity -

TO92, Capacitor, Aluminum Electrolytic (CAPAE), DPAK, Flange Mount (TO-220), Mounting Holes

caclark View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 5:32am
Sorry,

I have been out on vacation for the last week, so I was not able to reply until now. It works as expected.

It is a little cumbersome on how you have to add a new (unrelated pin) to the footprint after the move over to the FP Designer. By this I mean that you have to go into the pin property modify an existing one then add your new one to the list, then return to the Pins tab to add the newly created one as a unrelated pin.

Just a thought; What if in the Pins tab there was an option in the dropdown menu to "Add New" or some wording like that at the bottom of the list, that would send you automatically to the Pad Stack Manager GUI. This would then eliminate all of the back and forth in the above mentioned paragraph. That is essentially what I am doing is getting to the Pad Stack Manager to add another pin to the list anyway.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 6:26am
You select the Pad Stack icon in the toolbar -

This opens the Pad Stack Manager. Then select the New button to create a new Pad Stack in the Pad Stack Designer.

Post Reply Post Reply