PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to create a TSOC package footprint?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d_nilsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to create a TSOC package footprint?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 2:16pm
Hi,

Currently evaluating PCB Library Expert, and I'm trying to figure my way around the tool. The first footprint I attempted to create was for a "TSOC" package from Maxim;

http://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/package_dwgs/21-0382.PDF

http://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/land_patterns/90-0379.PDF

Now, I didn't see this package in the list of "surface mount" packages. Does that mean I should use the "FP Designer" and design one myself from scratch? I attempted to use the SOJ package creator and manually overriding the generated pad locations under "Footprint" / Dimensions but maybe that is not a good approach? If so, why not?

Thanks
Daniel
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 2:40pm
Open SM FPX and search for D6-1.

Or the title block number 21-0382.

And, FP Designer is only for "non-standard" parts.
Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
d_nilsson View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d_nilsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 3:31pm
Hi,

Hmm, I keep reading about this SM FPX but I guess I'm confused where to find that library... I have two libraries installed in the eval version I'm using (downloaded from http://www.pcblibraries.com/downloads/FPX%21Library_Expert_2013.asp);

Sample Data - Standard Parts.fpx
Sample Data - FP Designer.fpx

None of these seems to contain the part you are referencing. Is this SM FPX some library that will be included upon purchase of a "real" license?

Thanks for a quick response though!

Regards
Daniel
Nick B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 3:51pm
The SM FPX library is part of the 5,000 components which are included to customers. Typically these are sent out with the initial order and will be available in the customer download section soon.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 4:26pm
Just open the SOJ component family and enter the package dimensions.

Then select the OK button to auto-generate the perfect footprint.

The SM FPX file already contains the component dimensions for many surface mount parts and it has web-links to every datasheet.

In many cases it also contains the mfr. recommended pattern.

But like Nick mentioned, SM FPX comes with the "Full Version" (not the evaluation or the Lite).
d_nilsson View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d_nilsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 6:59am
Thanks, that explain things. I've put in an order today for a full version, looking forward to try out the "SM FPX" library.

Looking through the "Footprint_Expert_Customer_Library_Content_01-19-2013.pdf" document I can tell there are a large number of standard footprints available in the library. But what about connnectors? I can't find any connector vendors in that document, are there more libraries available for common connectors (for example headers, SMA etc etc)?

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 7:17am
Connectors are created in the Footprint Designer which was just released last month.

The FP Designer builds non-standard parts for both SMT and PTH but the FPX file data is just beginning to get started.

We are opening a new website called "Parts on Demand" (POD) which will eventually have over 50,000 popular connectors in FPX file format. Users will be able to search the database of millions of mfr. part numbers directly inside the PCB Library Expert and download the parts you need directly from the servers.

POD is an upload / download concept where every upload counts as a point and every download counts as a point. You get credits when you log-in and upload FPX files. You can then use those points to download other files you need. Eventually, every part in the world will be on the POD server's for both Standard and Non-standard component packages.

d_nilsson View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d_nilsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 7:52am
Ok, spending time in FP Designer to create my connector footprints is likely not a waste of time then!
craigcu View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigcu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Nick B Nick B wrote:

The SM FPX library is part of the 5,000 components which are included to customers. Typically these are sent out with the initial order and will be available in the customer download section soon.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Nick.

Craig, AMTELCO

Post Reply Post Reply