PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Libraries > Footprints / Land Patterns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Three Pin Ferrite Beads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three Pin Ferrite Beads
    Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 10:10am
Has anyone dealt with the Ferrite Beads like the Murate NFE31P parts that have a barrel with a middle GND pin on a MELF like construction?

The recommended footprint from Murata is very odd and of course it defies naming conventions or standard footprint generation.

The land pattern that I inherited basically looks like a 1206 with an extra pad in the middle, but that is far from the recommended shape, which is odd since the end pads are narrower than the part itself, though the end caps are round...

I will try to include the footprint for reference.

Thoughts or recommendations? Just run with the recommended land pattern?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 10:15am
I would go with the mfr. recommended pattern. The CM must have tested it on a reference design to proof it out. This package is a unique one-of-a-kind non-standard part.

It needs to be built once, built right and never built again by anyone. But we'll get there soon.

DaveCowl View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 10:30am
The strangest thing about the pattern is that the white areas are (from the best I can tell) devoid of solder mask. Which is a pretty huge solder mask opening, that is essentially 'open ended' on the top and bottom.

The solder mask pattern is the light grey.

My tendency would be to have a more typical solder mask pattern that is essentially the inverse of the pads.

Perhaps the recommendation is the minimum required solder mask?

I am not sure what to make of this...
 Post Reply Post Reply