PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Libraries > Footprints / Land Patterns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solder paste for TH component

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightwish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solder paste for TH component
    Posted: 24 May 2012 at 11:06pm
All,

The EE want the through hole component to be attached onto board in reflow process but in this case how to create the solder paste? In our library we usually don't have the solder paste for TH parts because they are wave solderedor hand inserted. I know there is a way to calculate the paste apture in IPC guidelines but it seems a little complex, so I am wondering if there is a little tool kit or easier way to do this.

Many thanks,

Nightwish
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 12:29pm
I've never heard of this.

Through-hole parts must be manually hand soldered or wave solder.

Nightwish View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightwish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 1:06am
Hi Tom,

I agree with you and I also never heard of this but I was told by EE that they have products that go through reflow for all parts on board including TH components. The problem is how much the solder paste is needed in order to ensure enough solder fulfilled in hole to make a stable solder joint. I will let the EE to confirm with the factory guys on this issue. In IPC7525 there is a chapter talking about the mathematical formula to calculate this but seems a little complex.

Thanks,

Nightwish
konraditen View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konraditen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 1:49pm
Are you talking about Pin In Hole reflow process (PIHR)?
Here is a link from Bob Willis article.

http://www.smtnet.com/bob-willis/pihirp.html

Nightwish View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightwish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 11:41pm
Hi konraditen,

You are right and we want to use pin in paste for TH parts. Thanks for sharing that article.

Regards,

Nightwish
konraditen View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote konraditen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 7:25am
Just came across this webpage. It is from the same guy.

http://pihrtechnology.com/

Regards,

Konrad
Nightwish View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightwish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 11:35pm
Hi Konrad,

Thanks for sharing this masterpiece of e-book on Pin in Hole Reflow.

Thanks,

Nightwish
 Post Reply Post Reply