PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Product Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breaking change in 2018.08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWB01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking change in 2018.08
    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:33pm
Version 2018.08 made the following change (for Altium):

Quote Rather than Create the Component directly, a new function called CreateAComponent has been added. This function will check if there is a currently existing component of that name and remove it and all of its primitives. If there isn’t, it will simply create the part normally. The footprint will then be built as specified, essentially taking its place. This should allow for a better handling of the updating of parts in Altium during script generation.

I would like to disable this.

I often make minor changes and additions in Altium after importing the footprints from PCB Libraries. When updating a footprint from PCB Libraries, my normal workflow (prior to 2018.08) was to:
  • Import the new footprint(s), which would appear in Altium as FootprintName_1 or similar, if a footprint called FootprintName already existed in the library.
  • Copy my Altium-side customizations from the previous version to FootprintName_1. (Nearly always a 3D model and designator location/formatting. For complex components, sometimes more extensive changes.)
  • Delete the old FootprintName, and rename Footprintname_1 to FootprintName.
Because 2018.08 overwrites existing footprints, I have to rename existing footprints beforehand if I want to save anything to apply to the updated version.

Another approach that would cover most (but not all) of my use-cases would be for PCB Libraries to preserve anything on layers that it doesn't touch. For example, I place my 3D bodies on eMechanical14 and eMechanical24. I do not have PCB Libraries writing anything to these layers. If PCB Libraries would preserve the original contents of (in this example) eMechanical14 and eMechanical24, then that would cover most of my needs. (I would still have to redo the designator, though, since that lives on the same layer as the assembly outline, and it wouldn't help in the few situations where I make more extensive changes.)
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:40pm
We're confused about your 3D STEP model layer request. 

You can change the 3D STEP layer in the Altium Translator by changing the Layer Number to whatever you want. 

Then Save Entries as Preferences to save that change. 

Also, it may be best for you to create a "New Library" when exporting to Altium. Then quality control the result and then Copy/Paste it into your master library. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
SWB01 View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWB01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 1:21pm
Quote We're confused about your 3D STEP model layer request.
I don't use the 3D models from PCB Libraries. I have my own 3D models, either downloaded directly from the manufacturer's website or created by me in SolidWorks. In PCB Libraries, I've left the layer setting for 3D Model blank.

When PCB Libraries overwrites an existing footprint, it erases my custom 3D model. I then have to go find it and re-import it into Altium.

If PCB Libraries would preserve anything in an existing Altium footprint on layers that it doesn't write to, then this would address that issue: It could still overwrite the pads, silkscreen, etc., but anything I've done on other layers (including my custom 3D model) would remain untouched.

But simply reverting to the pre-2018.08 behavior would also work well for me. There are situations where either approach would be preferable, depending on the nature of the customizations and which layers they live on.

Quote it may be best for you to create a "New Library" when exporting to Altium. Then quality control the result and then Copy/Paste it into your master library.
That may work reasonably well. I will give it I try. Thanks for the suggestion.

However, could we not have:
  • A checkbox to select whether or not we want to overwrite existing footprints,
  • Or, alternatively, two different procedures in the generated script, one that overwrites, and one that doesn't. We then run the one we want.
 Post Reply Post Reply