PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Product Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Create Footprint Window

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Manning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Create Footprint Window
    Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:29pm
Hi,

I have a couple of suggestions for the "Create Footprint" window when you build a part.

1. The "Decal Name" and "Part Type Name" fields are automatically filled with the default footprint name from the library. I customise my footprint names which means I also have to manually change them in the "Create Footprint" window as well. It would be nice if it took the actual name from the library and not use the default as generated by the program.

2. Where you select the layers to which the masks and outlines are translated to it would also be nice to have a check box for each layer to select if they are translated at all. I don't use the 3D Model Outline layer so I have to manually delete it from the footprint after it has been translated.

Although it's not difficult for me to manually make these changes as I go, I think these would be nice features to add.

Regards
Todd
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:20am

1. When you create a new part and import it into your personal FPX file you can edit and change the name to whatever name you want. But for the Calculator to recognize the new Footprint Name you created, you must reopen the part by selecting the "Footprint" icon or double click in any cell.

Also, there is a new feature in V2015 that allows the user to use the mfr. "Part Number" column as the Part Type. And it allows you to only create "Decal" or only create "Part Type" or both. Several different options are now available.

2. You never have to manually delete anything. If you don't want a drafting outline, change the value to 0 (zero) and the Library Expert will turn off that outline. Also, when you set up all your layers, folders and settings, make sure that you select the "Save Entries as Preferences" so that they are permanently set up.

Please tell us anything that we missed, so that all the features you want are in the program.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Todd Manning View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Manning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 6:51pm
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response.

1. That seems to work for the default environment but if you then change the environment then hit the "Build Part" button the name reverts back to the default.

2. If I set my "Assembly Outline" and "3D Model Outline" to 0 they come out on the top overlay after I import them into Altium.

Thanks
Todd
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:15am

Todd... is it possible to do a webcast so I can see what you are doing? I know that this is 100% user error and we need to teach you how to use the User and Default Preferences to achieve the results you need.

Just send me an email with a day and time that is good for you for a quick webcast.

All of our customers have Free unlimited training and we wish more people would ask for it.

I am in the process of creating 60 short training videos that explains every aspect of Library Expert but that project will not be completed until the end of the year.

Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Manning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 8:35pm
Hi Tom,

Sorry I was away last week. I'm not currently setup to do webcasting and do not know what is involved to do it. Maybe let me install the new 2015.01 and see if the Altium script interface solves my problems.

Todd
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Manning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 7:19pm

Hi Tom,

The new 2015 version doesn't seem to solve my problem. If I set any of the outline layers in the "Create Footprint" window to anything other than eMechanical1 to eMechanical16 then the script stops and doesn't create the footprint in Altium?

So to turn off an outline am I supposed to set the outline to "eMechanical0" or just "0"? None seem to work for me.

Also my "3D Model Outline" is on mechanical layer 17 in my Altium libraries, nothing over mechanical layer 16 seems to translate.

Regards
Todd

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 10:45am

To turn off any Drafting items, change the line width value to 0 (zero) in User Preferences.

You cannot turn off Drafting items in the Library CAD Tool Export dialog window.

Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Manning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 4:35pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for clarifying the way to turn drafting outlines off.

I was trying to set the layer to zero not the line width.

What about the other issue about trying to set outlines to a mechanical layer above Mechanical Layer 16?

Thanks,
Todd

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 8:13am

Altium Designer Mechanical Layers 17 - 32 are turned off (unchecked for use) as the default in the installation and "Altium Scripting" files are unable to activate those layers. You have to manually activate Mechanical Layers 17 - 32 in the "Layer Display" menu for each new Project.

So it's not a Library Expert issue, it's an Altium Designer issue.

Contact Altium and submit your question to them.

robmeyer View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:14am
If you use in your scripts this: Board.LayerStack_V7.LayerObject_V7[ILayer.MechanicalLayer(i)]
You can work with all Layers from 1 to 32 in AD14 and later.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>