PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Libraries > Footprints / Land Patterns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Silk on DPAK ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DickMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Silk on DPAK ??
    Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 8:56pm
I just finished making a footprint for an Alpha-Omega FET in a DPAK package. While I selected the package to start from SM.fpx, I specified the manufacturer's recommended spacing on the final pads. FPX then told me it couldn't output any Silkscreen because the geometry was too small!!! I've included a new library with the part in it, for your debugging.... Any help would be appreciated!

-- Dick

Jeff.M View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 9:40am
The geometry is too small.  According to the rules for silkscreen clearance and line widths there isn't enough space between the pad and the outside body dimension to place any of the six possible outline shapes.
Obviously it could be drawn oversize, i.e. beyond the size of the body, but we don't currently provide for that because it would misrepresent the body.
Stay connected - follow us! Twitter - LinkedIn
DickMS View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DickMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 9:49am
Sorry - if you can draw silk on a resistor that's 0402, then I see no possible reason for not drawing on a transistor that's 100 times as big - maybe your pattern in SM is not specified correctly?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 12:46pm

This does seem a bit strange. Can you send me the FPX file?

You also know that you can change the Silkscreen to Pad Clearance and the Silkscreen Line Width and the Library Expert will eventually drop in a silkscreen.

But I'm really curious on why you're getting the message "Component Too Small for Silkscreen Outline".

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
DickMS View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DickMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 1:05pm
uploads/8170/question-1.zip

Thanks, Tom - your programmer seemed a bit unfamiliar with the needs of layout folk - anyone who says that his own database violates his own rules, and I don't need a silkscreen anyway is a bit behind the curve on customer service, and real users' needs. Here's the zip file with the picture and the fpx in it... Thanks for taking this over! (and yes, I knew how to change the spacing rules - but that shouldn't be necessary on something so common, pulled from your main SM library - if they can be made to work with a flea-sized resistor, then they should be able to work with something as big as a DPAK. I suspect something in the library data is out of whack and needs some attention.)

--Dick
 Post Reply Post Reply