PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Terminal Dimensions for Non-Standard Packages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mohamedjubair.k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terminal Dimensions for Non-Standard Packages
    Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 5:51am
Hi Everyone,

Please anyone guide me, how to get this unknown dimension. Generally for all SMD connectors, lead length value is not mentioned in datasheet. 

Is there any other way, how to obtain this missing dimension other than 3D model.

Please help me out of this riddle. The below image is a sample.

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 8:02am
You must use the manufacturer recommended pattern to create your footprint.

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
mohamedjubair.k View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohamedjubair.k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 9:04am
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply. Actually I need the mechanical dimensions of the lead to draw VPL Packages . I couldn't find this dimension alone in most of the connector datasheets. 

Why they are not mentioning length of the lead. Is there any way to find this other than 3D model.

Without this I couldn't draw VPL.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 9:10am
I could investigate but I need the mfr. name and part number.

Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mohamedjubair.k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 9:45am
Hi Tom, 

Part number is 2-1445057-2 and from TE connectivity. This is for example only. Mostly for all connectors which has "L" lead form this dimension is not mentioned.

For creating VPL we will use mechanical dimensions only.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 9:53am
It is true that most surface mount connector manufacturer's do not provide the terminal lead dimensions. 

This is why we must use the mfr. recommended pattern for the PCB solder pattern. 

The only thing you can do is download the 3D STEP model and open it in a 3D model program like SolidWorks and use the measure feature. 

Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mohamedjubair.k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 6:45pm
Thank you Tom.
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohamedjubair.k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 12:48am
Hi Tom,

This is a DDR4 DIMM socket. physical pin dimension is not mentioned in component drawing. As we discussed i downloaded a 3D step file. Now my question is from where to where the pin length measurement will be. I marked 2 way in attached image.

Because, Design rule checks will be based on physical dimensions of the pin. We will inspect toe and heel joint value for a lead based upon IPC and we will confirm the CAD footprint. 

So this pin length value is much important. Please educate me regarding this.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 9:44am
Make the "Toe" value the same dimension as the terminal lead thickness. 

Make the Heel value 0.35 mm and the side goal 0.05 mm. 

The terminal length is the white area that you define in your picture. 

The Pad Length is the Terminal Length + Toe + Heel. 

The pad width is the Terminal width + 0.10 mm

Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohamedjubair.k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 7:04am
Thank you, Tom.
 Post Reply Post Reply