PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Product Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V2020 Wishlist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWB01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V2020 Wishlist
    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 12:29pm
Here are some features I hope to see in V2020:
  • Illustrations of the geometric/mathematical model used for each package type. For example, what does "pad place roundoff" mean? From the name, my initial assumption was that if the pad center was, for example, calculated to be at (0.48, 0.53) relative to the part origin, and your rounding was set to 0.1, then the pad center would be moved to (0.5, 0.5) – (except that whichever dimension is dictated by the pin pitch would be left unrounded). I have figured out that that is not correct. Instead, the rounding is apparently applied to the distance between the pad edges. However, this would be clearer with some sort of illustration of the geometry and equations involved and how they relate to each other. (For the record, my ultimate goal is to have all pad centers and copper edges aligned to an 0.05-mm grid, to the extent reasonable considering pin pitch. I think I've mostly achieved that using 0.10-mm rounding for both pad place and pad size, but it took some trial and error to get there.)
  • A more "parametric" way of creating custom footprints. Currently, we size and lay-out the copper pads manually and explicitly – there is no "intelligence" behind them, which, to me, subverts one of the principal advantages of using Library Expert. Rather than saying I want a rectangle of a specific size and shape in this particular location, I instead want the ability to say that I have a certain terminal type at a certain location with a specified tolerance. Library Expert would then use its calculation engine and preferences to calculate the appropriate pad size and shape for that terminal, just as it does for the predefined packages. Implemented properly, I can envision the predefined parts simply being presets that use the same underlying parametric engine that end-users can use to create custom footprints, as well as opening up the possibility for end users to create templates for custom package types that function much like the built-in packages.
  • A table/spreadsheet UI for setting preferences. Currently, we must navigate many pages and tabs to access all the preferences. This is tedious, and in the end, it is difficult to verify that you haven't missed anything and that everything is consistent. It would be nice if all of the component and terminal preferences were laid out in a single table so that we can see and edit everything at once.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 1:03pm
V2020 Beta comes out in late January and will have all the Calculators and the new "Options" (it was Preferences). 

The entire UI is completely redesigned for better user control and easy learning curve. 

No more "Tabs". Everything is laid out in spreadsheet format. 

All new images and toolbars. 

New 6 place resolution but it's user definable to whatever you want. 

New User Guide will be an intelligent PDF file that will explain both How and why the software works. 

V2020 Calculators will be in Beta test for 2 months while we fully rewrite FP Designer. You can help develop the new UI during the Beta period. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 4:02pm
I forgot to mention the best new feature of all. 

Starting next week, the full featured Library Expert Enterprise V2019.08 will be available for Free! 

Build millions of footprints per your personal rules and preferences. Save all your package dimensions to FPX. Batch build thousands of parts with one click. Access the FP Designer for complex connectors. 

Just pay yearly maintenance (20% of list price) to get all the updates including V2020. 

The yearly maintenance price list is $99 for these CAD tools - 
  • Altium Circuit Studio
  • Altium Nexus
  • CADint
  • DesignSpark
  • Dip Trace
  • Eagle
  • KiCad
  • McCAD
  • OrCAD Layout
  • P-CAD
  • Proteus
  • Pulsonix
  • Solo PCB
  • Target 3001!
  • Ultiboard (Multisim)
Yearly maintenance price list is $299 for these CAD tools - 
  • 3D STEP
  • Altium Designer
  • CADSTAR
  • CR-5000
  • CR-8000
  • eCADSTAR
  • OrCAD PCB
  • PADS Layout
  • Pantheon
Yearly maintenance price list is $499 for these CAD tools - 
  • Allegro
  • Board Station
  • PADS Professional
  • Xpedition
The most interesting aspect to this new Lease program is a new Cloud License that we created. Log In to the server and check out your license. 

And you can also Lease for 6 months or get a free 30-day trial of the Cloud License. 

toshas View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toshas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 3:05am
Hi!

Is there any news about new Lease program and V2020 ?
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 8:15am
The complete rewrite of Library Expert V2020 will be released to the public in Beta in 2 weeks. 

We need the 1st week of March for internal testing. 

The first release will be just the 144 Footprint Calculators and only available to Enterprise users for 6 weeks of testing and updating any bugs. 

During the 6 weeks Beta, we will add FP Designer for custom Footprints and the final release will be mid-April. 

Also, the Cloud License for both LE Pro and Enterprise will be released in 2 weeks. 

Note: even though LE Pro is free, we need to tether it to a Cloud License in the V2019.08 release because we're discontinuing LE Pro that is not on a license. i.e.: everyone must upgrade if they want to continue to use LE Pro because the non-licensed version will be turned off and become inactive. So it's very important to transition over the next 2 months. 

MartiniP View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartiniP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:54am
That's good news. Thank you for your work.
robmeyer View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 12:34am
Hi,

any new News to the next Version?

Robert
MartiniP View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartiniP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 3:23am
I'm joining Robert's demand. 

Best regards. Martin.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 7:05am
V2020 Footprint Expert will be out in Beta in 3 weeks. Beta will last 1 week and then it will be officially released depending on how many bugs are reported. We're trying our best to run it through QC right now. It's been in test for 2 weeks and we're pushing as many buttons as possible. 

It's a 100% rewrite and the UI is totally new. 

We also have a new Symbol Expert with PDF extraction and a brand new PCBPOD.com website all coming out the same week with millions of part numbers for footprints, symbols and 3D models. 

If you really want to join the Footprint Expert beta testing, we can deliver that next week, but FP Designer is still being rewritten. But all the Calculators, Options, Library Editor are completed/ 

Let us know. 

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 7:06am
And, the final release of V2019 will be released this week. 

V2019.08 

Post Reply Post Reply