PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PCB Footprint Expert > Product Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 3D Models

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkAcuity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom 3D Models
    Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:18pm
Hello Tom,
Hope all is well!

Random thought of the day for your consideration.

Library Expert does a great job creating 3D models for standard calculator based components. For non-standard components (Foot Print Designer)you create a block object for maximum space claim within the PCBA (X, Y, Z).

Can your software be modified to give an option to superimpose realistic 3D model from manufacturer or friendly neighborhood ME instead of block outline? Specific case would be connectors of various types, others exist.

If yes, what might be the role-out schedule?

Thanks and Happy Tuesday!
Mark
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 3:57pm
Most connector manufacturers provide high quality 3D STEP models. 

Library Expert users turn off 3D STEP interface when exporting custom FP Designer parts. Then they manually import the mfr. 3D model into the footprint. 

I think you are eluding to a check box in the Library Expert CAD tool interface menu to attach (select from file) the mfr. 3D model during the footprint creation process so both pieces of data load simultaneously. 

Is this a correct assumption?

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
MarkAcuity View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkAcuity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:20pm
Yes, you got it.
Click a box, point to the alternate 3d model. Presto chango, automagic realistic model from manufacturer website or step file created by inhouse Mechanical Engineer.

Hard part will be X,Y,and especially Z offsets and rotations.

Do I get any brownie points?
:)

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:37pm
No brownie points until our 3D STEP programmer at least indicates that this feature is doable. 

Also, not sure of the time frame because all hands on V2020 programming right now. 

We don't dare disrupt their progress unless it can be quickly implemented without causing regression. 

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 5:00pm
Question from programmers - What if the 3D STEP origin does not match the footprint origin? 

I seems simpler for you to manually import the 3D STEP into the CAD tool footprint and arrange the origin and 3D STEP rotation there. 

Altium does a great job at this process. 

MarkAcuity View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkAcuity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 5:19pm
Indeed your programmers are correct. Proper alignment of model origin X,Y, Z and rotation on each axis is crucial. That will be the hard part, Altium suffices but is manual process and leads to divergence between *.fpx and *.pcblib files. Next time I generate and run the script, everything changes...

Holy grail from my POV is using Library Expert to have full dominion over *.pcblib with no manual intervention inside Altium.

This would also include *.schlib schematic symbols. WINK, WINK, NUDGE, NUDGE! :)
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 5:36pm
The only realistic solution for true automation for schematic symbols is to have the content on POD to download and import. 

From there you simply click and drag the pins around to customize the symbol and save it to FPX and export to schematic tool. 

Other than that, creating all semiconductor symbols is a painful process. 

The holy grail to symbol automation is find / click / download / import / customize / export 

Now, if we can improve that process by eliminating steps like "download / Import". You search POD for the part in Library Expert and you find it and it loads directly into the tool. 

Discrete Symbol Calculators are the future for the 2, 3 and 4 pin parts. Fully automated and user controlled. 

JamesHeadOI View Drop Down
Active User
Active User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesHeadOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:21pm
Whilst connector manufacturers do provide good STEP models I've found that they often use different origins and planes for the model - even for parts within the same connector family groups!
Also the different CAD tools have aligned the model space differently meaning an X, Y, Z rotation value for a supplier's STEP model in Altium is going to be different than in Pulsonix or Cadence Allegro/Orcad.

On symbols, many of the pre-drawn symbols I've seen on other library sites aren't really suitable for inclusion in a circuit diagram I find because they tend to just use a generic square box and pin order (even for OpAmps!) whereas I always look at the device and draw up a sensible symbol that's going to look neat and convey circuit functionality in the circuit diagram better.
Many places have their own particular styles as well for diagrams.
Having an editable symbol in POD/FPE might be interesting if I could define GRID/text styles etc. and be able to fully edit the symbol but only for the draw once and import everywhere capability I think.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 9:05am
The best option for automating the complex unique 3D STEP models is to bury that data in the FPX file. This will insure that all STEP origins match the footprint and the Rotation are standardized in the "Y" axis rotation. Computer and software technology for this feature are not there yet. Faster computers with more memory and software tools that are optimized for speed for handling large ASCII data files. It's coming in the near future, just like 4K monitors are the next big breakthrough for PCB layout and the new 5G technology will increase internet speeds by 4X. 250GB download speeds will instantly become 1,000GB, making the transfer of large data files much easier. 

Generic Schematic Symbols require a tool that mimics the users CAE tool properties and attributes. I believe that a new symbol standard needs to be created with global industry consensus. IEEE and IPC have failed in this area. IEEE STD 315-1975, ANSI Y32.2-1975, CSA Z99-1975 and IPC-2612 provide roughly drawn basic images of schematic symbols, but no dimensional data for the snap grid. It leaves the door wide open for interpretation which leads to no real solution for standardization. The only solution is discrete symbol calculators that come with recommended dimensional data but allow the end user to change the values to create their unique master template. Creation of Multi-pin Semiconductor symbol automation from scratch does not exist. PDF extraction is still redundant time consuming duplication of effort. A well drawn stock library that is ready for download into a generic tool that mimics the CAE tool features that allows the user to rapidly arrange the pins to suit their corporate standard rules is the best solution for automation. 

Post Reply Post Reply