PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Libraries > Footprints / Land Patterns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Assembly Reference Designator IPC Location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGONZ67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assembly Reference Designator IPC Location
    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:46am

Is there a specific IPC specification that specifies the location of the assembly reference designator?

Typically I have placed assembly ref des in the center of the component outline, which seems to be industry standard. 

Is there a specific IPC specification that I can refer to which states something to the effect of "Assembly ref des shall be placed in the center of component outline"?

Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:05am
There is no standard for the placement of the Assembly reference designator. 

The assembly outline should be a closed polygon and the assembly ref des should be placed anywhere inside that polygon. 

This way, the assembly shop has clean data to work with and the chance of making a mistake is greatly reduced. 

When the ref des is placed outside the polygon, it can get confused with another part close by. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
AGONZ67 View Drop Down
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGONZ67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 2:59pm
Thanks for the confirmation of that. 

This is how I have been using them, but we are working with someone who wants assembly ref des to match the silkscreen ref des, which defeats the purpose of the assembly ref des.
Tom H View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 3:07pm
If the customer wants to use the Silkscreen Legend Ref Des as the Assembly Ref Des then they are potentially creating a situation where two similar parts could get swapped. 

We did that at a company I worked for and sure enough, the assembly shop swapped two same size resistors by mistake and the PCB did not function properly and it took the EE engineer a couple of days to track down the problem. Very costly mistake. 

Stay connected - follow us! X - LinkedIn
 Post Reply Post Reply