PCB Libraries Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simple component outlines?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Lamkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple component outlines?
    Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 3:57am
When someone picks an existing footprint from a library to use for a part, one of the ways of checking that the right one is chosen is to simply make sure that the component fits on the footprint.

To do this I draw the component as a simple box for the body & simple boxes for the legs, all thin line width & on a single layer. I can then group these and place them on a footprint to see if it fits.

I am wondering if anyone can think of any way of getting simple 2D line drawings of common components so that I can import them into CADSTAR to save me drawing them all????
jameshead View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:40am
I'd output the Assembly outline from PCB libaries with the terminals turned on, check that the body outline is okay, and that the terminals fit on the pads okay, then remove the terminal outlines from the footprint in CADSTAR.
jameshead View Drop Down
Expert User
Expert User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:41am
I meant 3D outline - not assembly, sorry.  Include the terminals in the 3D model outline.
 Post Reply Post Reply